When the words “biscuit” and “pot pie” are in the same sentence, you KNOW it’s going to be a yummy and filling dinner item! From damndelicious.net, it’s Biscuit Pot Pie!
Biscuit Pot Pie
Prep Time: 30 minutes | Cook Time: 40 minutes | Total Time: 1 hour, 10 minutes | Yield: 4 servings
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 small onion, diced
3 carrots, peeled and diced
2 ribs celery, diced
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
2 cups chicken broth
1 1/2 cups milk
1/2 teaspoon thyme
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
3 1/2 cups shredded chicken
1/2 cup frozen peas
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, cut into cubes
3/4 cup buttermilk
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
Lightly oil a 9×13 baking dish or coat with nonstick spray.
1. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat; set aside.
2. In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, sugar, baking soda and salt. Add cold butter, using your fingers to work the butter into the dry ingredients until it resembles coarse crumbs. Add buttermilk and stir using a rubber spatula until a soft dough forms.
3. Working on a lightly floured surface, knead the dough 3-4 times until it comes together. Using a rolling pin, roll the dough into a 10- by 7-inch rectangle, about 1-inch thick. Cut out 6-8 rounds using a 3-inch biscuit or cookie cutter. Place biscuits onto the prepared baking sheet; set aside in the refrigerator.
4. To make the filling, melt butter in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add garlic, onion, carrots and celery, and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 3-4 minutes. Whisk in flour until lightly browned, about 1 minute. Gradually whisk in chicken broth, milk and thyme, and cook, whisking constantly, until slightly thickened, about 1-2 minutes. Stir in chicken and peas; season with salt and pepper, to taste.
5. Add chicken mixture to prepared baking dish. Place into oven and bake for 15 minutes. Top with prepared biscuits and bake until tops are golden brown, an additional 10-12 minutes. Let cool 5 minutes before serving.