Pot Pie is an American Classic that brings a whole new meaning to the phrase Comfort Food. How about combining your favorite ingredients to make one scrumptious creation that the whole family will enjoy. Here we share a chicken pot pie recipe that will leave nothing to the imagination. Enjoy cooking.
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 3 carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 ribs celery, diced
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 3 1/2 cups shredded chicken
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
You can always substitute, remove, or add ingredients according to your preferences.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, cut into cubes
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat; set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, sugar, baking soda and salt. Add cold butter, using your fingers to work the butter into the dry ingredients until it resembles coarse crumbs. Add buttermilk and stir using a rubber spatula until a soft dough forms.
- Working on a lightly floured surface, knead the dough 3-4 times until it comes together. Using a rolling pin, roll the dough into a 10- by 7-inch rectangle, about 1-inch thick. Cut out 6-8 rounds using a 3-inch biscuit or cookie cutter. Place biscuits onto the prepared baking sheet; set aside in the refrigerator.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Lightly oil a 9×13 baking dish or coat with nonstick spray.
- To make the filling, melt butter in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add garlic, onion, carrots and celery, and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 3-4 minutes. Whisk in flour until lightly browned, about 1 minute. Gradually whisk in chicken broth, milk and thyme, and cook, whisking constantly, until slightly thickened, about 1-2 minutes. Stir in chicken and peas; season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Add chicken mixture to prepared baking dish. Place into oven and bake for 15 minutes. Top with prepared biscuits and bake until tops are golden brown, an additional 10-12 minutes. Let cool 5 minutes before serving.